Saturday, February 27, 2010

IST, Already?

**Note: I wrote this before IST but wasn't able to update...better late than never!

Next week we are traveling back to Dedza for IST, our training that comes after three months at site. I am SO excited to see everyone, to not think about what to cook, to climb the mountain, and generally have more social contact than I have had in a while. (unless hanging out with 6 boys under 12 including one who has peed on me twice counts) In so many ways this has been the longest 2.5months of my life, but the learning curve is sharp and I was forced to figure out how to live with some sense of normalcy very quickly or turn into a crazy person. Some days are hard and long and lonely and isolating. Some days are inspiring and encouraging and wonderful. Such is life, I guess.

Pre IST Highlights
1) Crazy Christmas
2) Swimming in Lake Malawi
3) Being Elisa and not Azungu
4) Doing an hour run with 2 little boys (who were barefoot) and them never giving up. Their little feet just kept running and they were smiling and laughing the entire time. I felt like I was in a cheesy Nike commercial.
5) Watching Derrick take his first steps (Dennis still hasn't figured out how to walk)
6) My watermelons and sunflowers are actually growing!
7) Realizing I do enjoy cooking
8) Reading more books than I have in the last 2 years
9) Being excited to come to my home in Malawi after traveling or even being gone for a day
10) running with 25 kids on their way to school
11) Hanging out with Gertrude on her poultry farm for the Positive Living (people living with HIV/AIDS) groups. She is one of the most amazing women I have ever met.
12) Charity trying to teach me how to scale and clean a fish-well, I think it was a highlight for her...
13) Totally wiping out in front of the entire school whilst trying to show off my cool soccer moves...not really a highlight but a memorable moment nonetheless
14) Realizing that being here is enough, things always happen for a reason

After IST a small group of us are going hiking in Livingstonia and then it is back home and back to school. After IST means I can also have visitors...if you have ever been considering a trip to Africa you have a host in Malawi. And if you haven't considered a trip to Africa, you should. I'll make you banana pancakes. : )

loads of love,
elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment