Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Secret to Teacher Trainings is...Fanta?

I think I have discovered the secret to teacher success kuno ku Malawi. (As far as my workshops are concerned) It is not the venue, time of day, day of week, participating schools and/or teachers. Nope, success is found with Fantas, biscuits, and stickers.

In Malawi, it is expected to give teachers allowances for workshops. That is to say, they get a little bonus for missing school. Plus a Fanta. I don't agree with allowances (mostly, I am not willing to pay people out of my pocket to come to my workshop). Therefore, my workshops have been allowance and Fanta free. This Saturday, (yes-I even made it on a Saturday! Most workshops are during the week meaning the teacher misses all their classes and they haven't exactly developed the substitute teaching system in Malawi) I was so excited I had 13 participants (up from 6 last time) I succumbed to the Fanta pressure and provided cookies and drinks. This was the best thing I could have ever done. At first, just a morning spent with Elisa talking about school stuff. Providing a Fanta elevated the session to a legitimate workshop. Oh, and the stickers--I passed out sticker pages for good answers and as a review/wrap up at the end of the workshop. We had talked about positive reinforcement and stickers aren't wildy available in my village so I was hoping they would take them back to their schools to use them for excellent student work. Instead, they bedazzled their cell phones with 'good luck' and 'A for effort' stickers.

On a separate note, I think it is hilarious and ironic I am teaching a classroom management workshop. I guess all those workshops from Houston came in handy....What is that saying, those that can't do, teach?

p.s. for more Malawi reading check out alexisinmalawi.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. In the next care package: stickers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just saw your dad today. wondering if a teacher workbook and lesson planning guide for teaching English as a Second Language would be helpful to you? I'm volunteering with a literacy council in Hartford and many of my students have no English at all and some have no education in their native language.

    great blog!!

    Cheri H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and yes - the secret to any successful meeting is food or treats of some sort.

    ReplyDelete