Monday, November 22, 2010

Elisabeth Goes on Med Hold

I am not known for my direction reading skills. I prefer to figure things out in my own way. This week I learned an important lesson on reading directions-they are there for a reason.

Last Sunday I came into Lilongwe to go to the bank and run some errands. My plan was to be here less than 24 hours. That was my plan....

I wear contacts. I have worn contacts for years and don't enjoy wearing glasses. Peace Corps advises volunteers not to wear contacts because of the risk of infection. In order to avoid infections I have been using no-rub solution which requires a special case. Maybe you are familiar? In my hasty packing I forgot my contact case. When I realized this I didn't think twice to find some cups and let my contacts soak in the cups overnight. Now, this goes back to my lack of reading directions: on the bottle it says 'use only the lens case provided'-but living in Malawi has made me believe expiration dates and directions aren't totally necessary. Monday morning I woke up to go for a run and put my contacts in like I do everyday. I put my right contact in and felt intense fiery pain. My eye immediately pinched closed and it took my prying fingers to remove my contact. I ran into the shower and hoped my eye would stop spazzing. Unfortunately it did not. Luckily, I was in Lilongwe so I was able to visit the doctors. The doctor irrigated my eye and gave me goop (medicated eye drops) to put in 4 times a day. And then he told me I had to stay in Lilongwe until Friday...

Friday became Monday but now I am finally on my way back home! Lesson learned-read the directions on your contact solution bottle. They are not lying.

loads of love,
e

1 comment: