Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Year at the Turnoff

I have officially completed my first year as a volunteer. It seems so bizarre to think last year at this time I moved into my house at the turnoff-scared, excited, overwhelmed, nervous...yes, mostly nervous. This has been the most intense, trying, inspiring, frustrating, wonderful year. Here is a recap:

December 2009- Arrive at site, it is so hot I think I might die. It takes 2 hours to scramble eggs because my fire keeps going out. What does a teacher development facilitator really do? I read a lot of books and wonder what I am doing in Malawi.

January 2010- This entire year will be spent in Malawi. Hmm. Active Youth in Development is formed. The rains come and I think I might die from the flooding.

February 2010-Starting to figure out being a TDF- but really, what am I doing here?

March 2010- We have been at site for 3 months-training in Dedza. Climb Mt. Mulanje.

April 2010- Start teaching at school. Start planning Camp Sky. This isn't so bad.

May 2010-Happy Birthday to me! Camp Sky is going to be a lot of work. AYID decides to make soap. Being busy is so much better.

June 2010- Winter arrives at the turnoff. The cool weather is amazing.

July 2010- Meet the president of Malawi, celebrate the 4th at the ambassador's house, write a grant for a youth group building, camp sky is next month!

August 2010- CAMP SKY!

September - AMERICA!

October 2010- Search for elephants. October is Typically my favorite one, this one seems never ending.

November 2010- Teaching a lot more. Weekend trips to the lake. Youth group building is started. I buy lots of cement, timber, nails, and other stuff to build a house.

December 2010- I made it. A full year! There were plenty of days I didn't think I would. There were lots of sad, homesick days-but there were plenty more great days. Now I am applying to grad schools and have about 6.5 months left. (this is not official because I will probably have to leave early to start school, but I will be able to finish the school year) My family is coming, AYID's building is going up, we are painting a world map school, and we have another training in January....and then it will be 5.5 months to go!

I hope you are all having a very merry holiday season. Love and miss you all!

love,
e

No comments:

Post a Comment