Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Family Vacation

I figured it was time for Elisa's abambo to put in his 2 cents about the vacation - although that word really doesn't describe the experience we all had. I'll admit that I was a bit hesitant at first about the whole trip, but even before the first evening we spent all together in Salima, it was pretty clear that I would have missed the opportunity of a lifetime. So, here are some highlights from my perspective...
  • When your child decides to grow up and move 8,000 miles away, you just have to believe they can take care of themselves. You would not want to mess with Elisa (particularly if you're a curio vendor...)
  • Living in a National Geographic spread is a little surreal. We WERE the stuff you see in the magazine.
  • The fact that you can buy a cold Coke and cell phone minutes in the middle of nowhere was a bit disconcerting. But it does give a sense of how the middle of nowhere is connected to the rest of civilization.
  • I think the last time I cleaned and cooked live fish was on a Boy Scout campout, but making a family dinner with ingredients we bought at her market and prepared on her paraffin stove while wearing a headlamp was a personal best for me...
  • Mooching off of someone else's bucket list isn't so bad.
  • Sistership is a pretty special relationship. Planning for Alix to go out the week before the parents was the right idea.
  • I'll come clean about the "azungu trap" since it provided for some hysterical laughter behind my back. Because of the severe rains in the country, there are fairly wide and deep ditches along the edges of the roads in Lilongwe. This isn't anything you would see in a developed country since they are rather dangerous to pedestrians. So, during our last evening there, we walked to the restaurant - in the dark. Trying to assume the role of the patriarch, I walked behind the 3 women - especially since Elisabeth needed to lead the way. Well, I really don't see so well in the dark, and there's a lot of crazy drivers, and the thud they heard was me landing in the 24" deep ditch, with my head and arms outstretched on the road, awaiting the oncoming traffic. I took my time cleaning off the blood in the men's room at dinner so they had some time to compose themselves. Naturally they all wanted to hold my hand on the walk back.
  • Running isn't practical in Malawi or Zambia - something about being mistaken as "dinner" put a damper on the training. I got over that...
  • It was amazing to see how far a few dollars will go with the right kind of direction. The AYID community center Elisabeth is helping to get built in Kanyangale was incredible. It's the first building in this little fishing village on Lake Malawi to have an "iron roof". Seeing how the village has come together to build the structure, and to meet the villagers and their chief - and be honored quests was pretty special. And now we have the "Benoit Family Library" - a room in the community center for this village that has no school. The building is paid for, but we donated some money to furnish the library. And then I started thinking that others might want to make a small contribution to endear themselves to the family library. Perhaps a trip to Lilongwe to get books from the free national library system ($5)? Small table ($10)? Lifetime library cards for 10 people ($5)? Paper/supplies ($10)? Let Kathy or myself know if you're interested in supporting the cause.
  • And aside from the horrendous air travel (Ethiopian Air is more like a catering company with some salvaged planes...) it really was the ultimate family trip. My love to all...

3 comments:

  1. Hearing other peoples' perspectives is so great, thanks Mr. Benoit! And Alix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible trip - and an incredible family! And you must be so proud of Elisabeth - and Alix too! Thanks for your perspective Rich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will Momma Benoit be the next guest, please? Someone should explain the whole Ethiopian Air fiasco. I love travel stories! I'm so glad you all had this adventure! -Adrienne

    ReplyDelete