Friday, January 29, 2010

Everything is Relative

Recently, I have been struggling with the idea that I am not being effective, that I am just killing time and hanging out. I attend meetings and visit schools, but I haven't done anything substantial or tangible. Of course, things in Africa take time and this is perfectly normal but it was still starting to bother me. Patience is a funny thing and just as these thoughts were starting to bum me out a little a little boy reminded me everything is relative.
So, for background, Malawi is a very male dominated society. Women are supposed to be at home cooking and taking care of the family. I am the only female at my school and one of three females in all of my cluster schools. (there are 6 schools).
Last Friday I had a meeting with all of the headteachers in a building next to the primary school. School is a very loose term in this case-there are hundreds of kids running around, few teachers, and even fewer resources. As I was waiting for the Heads to arrive I started doing an impromptu lesson on numbers and letters with the 50+ children who decided watching the white lady was more important than sitting in a classroom. (also, I am not sure where the teachers were, in any case lots of kids running around at "school") One of my schools just received a female headteacher (included in the 3 females)-she was the first to arrive and asked if I knew what this young boy in the front was saying to the little girl next to him. I said no so she explained, he was saying if you stay in school and work hard you can be like Madam Elisa. So I haven't built anything or saved the world and the majority of my time is spent reading and playing with my neighbors. But, maybe one day there will be more madams in Malawi and that is a good thing.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely, Absolutely, Absolutely. Your presence is acomplishing great things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisabeth, I am sure it is frustrating to have to be so patient, but I was excited to hear on the radio this morning that Perry High School right here in town is sending school supplies to Malawi. I guess they have adopted a school or schools there and one of the teachers went there this past summer. I will find out more and try to hook them up with you. Love, Aunt Surella

    ReplyDelete
  3. your story made me cry a little :)
    (Although, I guess it doesn't take too much to cross my "overly-emotional" threshold...)
    Regardless, your story tells so much about your presence in Malawi- just by BEING there you are making a difference! Regardless of what you do! I'm so glad you were able to see that firsthand and hopefully be rejuvenated by the evidence :)

    ReplyDelete