Saturday, January 9, 2010

What I have learned so far...

I have been living at site for about a month now. I have compiled a list of observations thus far:

* Riding a bike in a skirt stinks.
*I should start dinner a good hour before I am hungry....still working on the whole fire thing. I can start a fire no problem, keeping it going well...
*I really can't live on peanut butter sandwiches
*If I were a sports recruiter I would come to Malawi. There is nothing a Malawian women can't do and it seems as if they feel no pain. ever. for example,
-Removing pots directly from the fire without an oven mitt
- Learning how to jump rope with a baby on their back
-Breast feeding while walking carrying about 20 pounds of rice on their head
- I could go on, but they are pretty incredible
*I kind of like not having electricity, well except for the whole cooking thing
*Pasta sides, mac n'cheese, oatmeal, and chocolate is the stuff dreams are made of : )
* You should label what you plant in your garden-or at least remember what you plant. I had zero faith in my gardening skills but now I have a bunch of stuff growing and I don't know what it is! Whoops.
*I still have no idea what I want to do when I grow up
*Malawians really feel that if you don't eat nsima daily you must not be healthy
*I don't know how I will ever function not getting 8/9 hours of sleep every night
*Nothing I do in my village goes unnoticed. Everyone knows how many tomatoes I buy, that I prefer Fanta to Coke, and that I don't cook nsima. Seriously, you could drive down the M5 and between Benga and Mkaika just ask for Elisa, someone knows where I am.
*Every last extravagant ice cream trip before I left was worth it.
*I have amazing friends and the best family in the whole world
*I am incredibly lucky and blessed!

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha. This is a funny post. Why are you not getting enough sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am getting too much sleep! I go to sleep when it gets dark and wake up around 5:30, it's great! I just can't imagine going home and not getting as much sleep. : ) Have fun with your last weeks at home, good luck packing, and we will see you in February!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. You read a Fear Street book. Oh how I miss you, buddy.

    -Mieke

    ReplyDelete